Pathways of Divine Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Spiritual Community that Respects all Beliefs

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DANDELIONS & DAISIES

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Serenity
Founder
Serenity

DANDELIONS & DAISIES Empty
PostSubject: DANDELIONS & DAISIES   DANDELIONS & DAISIES EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 5:44 am

Oh what a beautiful morning...Oh what a beautiful day la la, it certainly made you feel like singing on the walk this morning, spring is in full bloom, clear blue skies and growing grass, and the Trees new leaf buds breaking open to reveal their new glory.
Spring has also brought forth, the Daisies and Dandelions, they are peeking above the grass, such a shame they are labelled as weeds, they have a beauty all of their own, so, I thought I would share a little symbolism about them with you.

The Daisy is symbolic of dependable love and innocence, James Montgomery wrote “ The Rose has but a Summer reign, The Daisy never dies” it also derives from the Anglo Saxon word daes eage, or days eye, referring to the way the daisy opens and closes with the sun, it is also a symbolism of childhood innocence, it is said that the Daisy originated from a Dryad who presided over forests, meadows and pastures.

Roman mythology says that Belides, the nymph, danced with other nymphs at the edge of the forest, caught the eye of Vertumnus, the God of the Orchards, to escape his unwanted attention, she transformed herself into the flower Bellis which is today’s botanical name for the Daisy. So so much to learn from a wee flower, thought of by most as a weed.

The Dandelion, well apart from being forbidden to pick it as a child, in case it brought about a wee accent (excuse the pun) in the bed, it too has many symbolisms.
The flower symbolism associated with the Dandelion is love me, affection returned, sympathy, desire and faithfulness. It is native to Europe and Asia and originally was planted as a flower, and introduced to many places, due to its prolific ability to seed it has unfortunately bee de classified as a weed.

The origin of the Dandelions name is often disputed, some say the word descended for the Greek word Leontodon a word that translates into english as “Lions Tooth”, others claim it came from the French dent de Lion or the Latin word Leonis all of which translate into Lions Tooth. The
Americans say it probably found its way into America on the Mayflower brought along for its medicinal properties.

So two “Weeds” that are disliked by all gardeners who show such pride in their lawns that resemble the smoothness of a Snooker Table and are removed post haste, that have deep and meaningful meanings.

My final ponder this morning makes me wonder, before we “get rid” of banish, dig up, whatever you like to call it, of our “ Spiritual Weeds” that can at times feel they are taking over and restricting our growth, should we not look deeper into the root origin, acknowledge, accept them, and most of all, learn from them, before we go digging them up in haste and casting them aside, only to return in abundance, take on the learning from them, acknowledge what has to be done and see the beauty in yourself ?I will leave you with that ponder. Blessed Be

But a weed is simply a plant that wants to grow where people want something else. In blaming nature, people mistake the culprit. Weeds are people's idea, not natures. ~Author Unknown

Criticizing another's garden doesn't keep the weeds out of your own. ~Author Unknown
Back to top Go down

DANDELIONS & DAISIES
Page 1 of 1